Thursday, July 30, 2009

COMMUNITY GARDEN

I must tell you about this wonderful community garden I belong to! I wish I had more time to spend there but it is quality time when I AM there. I have grown arugula, lettuce, chives, garlic, spinach (bombed) cucumbers, zucchini, yellow pear tomatoes, tomatoes, and a sunflower! My goodness the tomatoes are SO delicious. It reminds me of what real tomatoes are supposed to taste like, not the store-bought kind. Too bad the children of today do not know the difference. Anyway, I must tell you about this very generous 93 year old person who lets people grow things on her property. Her very good friend Dan has constructed all the raised beds and has made the garden beautiful and functional. He has put many years of work, love, and friendship into this endeavor. And, this woman works in her garden EVERY day, even when it is over 100. She would rather be in the garden than anyplace else on earth! Both these people have enriched my life and rekindled my love of the garden. P.S. Dan is a Master Gardener and, to be real honest, the largest tomato in that basket is his.